Spring Cleaning Checklist
Spring has sprung! To some that may mean turning off the heat, cracking open the windows, and airing out the house. But there’s plenty of other tasks that would be smart to complete now, when the weather is nice but not too hot. We’ve got a checklist to start you off.
- Ceiling Fans. When was the last time you dusted the top of your ceiling fans? It’s probably been a while, so make sure to wipe off the dust that’s been compiling before turning those bad boys on for the summer. Tip: place a clean pillow case over each blade and pull the dust into the case so it doesn’t go everywhere.
- Windows. Can you see the light? If not, it’s probably time to clean your windows! Even if they look fairly clean, it’s shocking what a quick wipe down can do. You’ll see a view you forgot you had – all you need is a squeegee and soapy water.
- Curtains. Your curtains probably don’t need much of a clean, but a quick throw in the dryer to fluff out wrinkles will do wonders. If they have gotten dusty, try vacuuming them. If that doesn’t work they may need to go in the wash – just make sure to read the instruction label first.
- Appliances. When’s the last time you deep cleaned your fridge drawers? What about your microwave? If you’ve been putting these off forever, this is your sign. Splatters in your microwave can be loosened up by first microwaving a bowl of water with citrus or vinegar, then wiping them down.
- Junk drawer / Medicine Cabinet. Everyone’s got a junk drawer, whether it’s an actual drawer, cabinet, or shelf. You probably cringe every time you open it, so that means it’s time for a cleaning! Take everything out and go through carefully, deciding what absolutely needs to stay. Small boxes can do wonders for organization.
- Pillows. No, not your pillowcase. Your actual pillow! Did you know that most can be thrown in the washing machine and dryer on low? Just read the label first and make sure to follow instructions. You put your head on it every night, so make sure it’s fresh!
- Shower Curtains. If you’ve got them, you need to clean them. And they can actually go in the washing machine! Many recommend adding baking soda in with the detergent. Then, hang back in the shower to dry!
- Outdoor Furniture. It’s time to get back to summer nights, and that means uncovering the patio furniture. Make sure they’re clean first by sweeping away loose leaves and debris and then wiping down furniture with soapy water. While you’re outside, you may get ideas for a few other cleaning projects – like your grill and your doormat. Once you’re on a roll, keep going!
We promise you’ll feel so much better after your crank out this list. Cleaning isn’t just for guests; lots of dust and grime have been accumulating in the nooks and crannies of your home, and you’ll be so happy (and less sneezy!) once you clean. If you get overwhelmed, contact DI for help with your cleaning. Best of luck!